Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Front Door Make-Over

Welcome to my very first blog post! I know it won't be perfect, but I am hoping as I get better at this, that I can inspire your creative side and give you some fun ideas to add some extra sunshine to your day!

Fall is finally here, and I am thrilled! This is my absolute favorite time of year. I cannot wait until the weather cools down enough to break out the hot chocolate and my favorite soup recipes! But in the meantime, I will share some fun crafts with you to spruce up your home for Fall.

Our first major project this season was to refresh and brighten up our poor front door. We had tossed the idea around for a while before we noticed how much the door really needed help! It was brought to our attention when our storm door decided to up and fall off of the house... like completely fall off. Shocked doesn't begin to describe my thoughts at that moment! Panic would be more like it!! I had just gotten home from the grocery store and had my sister helping me bring in groceries. I had gone around the corner into the kitchen and hear her scream...uh HELP?! Fast forward about 30 minutes and we have the storm door, completely attached by the hydraulic hinges, but nowhere else... propped up and our sweet neighbor is helping us try to unscrew those so we can lay it down and not shatter it. Once we had calmed down enough to assess the damage, we could see the extra piece of molding that the installer added when we got the door put on had only been stapled in... nice. After all the back and forth with the company, we get it fixed and this time it's perfect! They even re-leveled the hinges so it locks now! Hooray!! During the week or so we spent with it off, we got to take a closer look at our front door and ewww.... I knew it had started to fade, but it was just plain gross!



This was the push we needed to finally go for it and update this poor thing! I went to our local Lowe's store and started searching through paint samples to find the perfect shade. We knew we wanted a change from the deep red - turned kinda purple-ish color we had. So I bring home all of these...



We stand in the front yard for a while and stare at the door debating colors. Our neighbors probably think we have finally lost it after about 30 minutes of just staring. :) But we finally agree... Forsynthia Blossom! A beautiful, bright and sunny yellow! So back to Lowe's we go to get our paint. We had previously used the Duramax by Valspar...it just didn't seem to do the trick with our full sun front yard and we have used Olympic One in every room we've painted in the house since we moved in, so we go with the Olympic outdoor paint and primer in one combo.

That said "Exterior Latex Paint" before we got paint happy!

It went on wonderfully! Before we began the project I had searched Pinterest for inspiration. There are lots of great examples of ideas and more colors than you could think of! I found this post by Young House Love, and it had some great tips on how to get the paint to go on smooth and look fabulous! They suggested using several thin even coats and allowing plenty of drying time between each. That proved to be the best advice we got all day! Taking our door from a deep red to yellow took around five thin coats, but it really helped. And best of all. NO CLUMPS! I can't stand when you are painting and get a random thick spot or drip... it seems impossible to get to smooth out! I guess this is my OCD at work! haha Here's a during picture... around 2 coats in.



A couple coats and minus a lock box later, we have finished it! We stumbled across several Pinterest posts about front doors that had the numbers on the door... GENIUS! We decided to put my handy dandy Cricut to work and cut them out of black vinyl. I could not be more pleased at how it turned out!! I love the yellow door with our grey house and black shutters... ahhh. It's just so happy! :) Here is a picture of the final product.

 
And here's the front of the house with the much brighter, happier door! So much better!!



Since the beginning of Fall also means the height of football season, we just wouldn't be proper football fans without our Troy Trojan helmet! GO TROJANS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment